The St. Margaret Sailing Club (SMSC) is excited to host a community open house, to welcome everyone to view, and tour, the clubhouse and grounds, and visit a fleet of historic and majestic schooners.
On Saturday, July 30 from 2:00-5:00pm, SMSC will be open to all visitors. Additionally, the Club will be hosting over a dozen majestic schooners who will be stopping at the club on their way to Hubbards, to participate in their 55th annual race week.
Participants at the open house will be able to:
- Learn more about SMSC and club membership, and ask members about what makes the club special;
- Visit, and board, a number of schooners who will be open to the public. Ask questions of the skipper and crew and get to know more about these historic boats that are such an important part of Nova Scotia’s history;
- Find out more information on the Junior Sail program, which provides instruction for children starting at age 5;
- View a number of different types of watercraft, from Optis and Picos (used in the Junior Sail program) to kayaks, stand-up paddleboards and Sea Fleas;
- Check out our beach and clubhouse grounds, do some colouring or make a craft with the kids or relax and enjoy a beverage from the bar on the deck overlooking French Village Harbour.
The club will be waiving the typical $25 launch fee during the Open House, so bring your own kayak, paddle board, or other human-powered boat and enjoy French Village harbour for free!
SMSC is pleased to be hosting the Nova Scotia Schooner Association fleet during our open house. The fleet of 13 schooners will race from Lunenburg to SMSC on Friday evening. The boats will be open to the public during the Open House on Saturday, from 2:00-5:00. The schooners will leave SMSC at 1:00 on Sunday and will conduct a ceremonial sail to Hubbards – there will be great viewing of these beautiful boats along Highway 333 during the afternoon. For more information on the schooner association, please visit www.nsschooner.ca.
Detailed information, complete with updates, can be found at here.